Scientific divers must apply for authorization to dive with the Smithsonian Institution (SI).
To apply for authorization:
- Assure your diving experience meets SI MINIMUM STANDARDS.
- CONTACT the SI Diving Officer (DO) at the sponsoring SI Unit. If you do not have an SI sponsor, contact the SI DO at the location you intend to dive.
- Submit your Diver Application. Your SI DO will send you the link to this application. The authorization process may take time so plan ahead and apply early.
- Complete steps to authorization per your SI AFFILIATION. If you are unsure of your affiliation CLICK HERE.
- Submit your Dive Plan, if you are the lead diver. All dives under SI auspices must receive Authorization from the SI Dive program. Your SI Sponsor or SI DO will guide you through this process.