Scientific divers must apply for authorization to dive with the Smithsonian Institution (SI).
To apply for authorization:
- Assure your diving experience meets SI MINIMUM STANDARDS.
- CONTACT the SI Unit Diving Officer (UDO) at the sponsoring SI Unit. If you do not have an SI sponsor, contact the SI-UDO at the location you intend to dive.
- Submit your Diver Application. Your SI-UDO will send you the link to this application. The authorization process may take time so plan ahead and apply early.
- Complete steps to authorization per your SI AFFILIATION. If you are unsure of your affiliation CLICK HERE.
- Submit your Dive Plan, if you are the lead diver. All dives under SI auspices must receive Authorization from the SI Dive program. Your SI Sponsor or SI-UDO will guide you through this process.