Scientists who are from other organizations and are conducting research in collaboration with the Smithsonian Institution (SI) or are utilizing SI facilities, are required to receive diving AUTHORIZATION from the Scientific Diving Program (SDP).
- If your home institution is a current AAUS Organizational Member (OM), you may be authorized to dive under RECIPROCITY DIVER status.
- If your home institution is NOT a current AAUS Organizational Member (OM) but has a Diving Program you may be authorized to dive under RECIPROCITY DIVER status.
- NOT an AAUS OM and do not belong to a Scientific Diving Program, contact the appropriate SI Diving Officer.
1. Do you qualify to dive with SDP? See SDP MINIMUM DIVING STANDARDS
2. Do you have an SI Sponsor? All Research Associates must have an SI Sponsor.
3. Are you officially registered as a Research Associate? This is required before your dive application can be processed.
Download the SDP RESEARCH ASSOCIATE CHECK-LIST to assure you have met all requirements.